It’s one of the many reasons people travel to Venice. But the experience comes at a pretty hefty price, all year round. So does the popular tourist attraction of riding in a gondola actually live up to the hype? In short. Yes.
Going to Venice was always high on my bucket list, and for a good reason. The food you eat, people you meet, and experiences you have in Venice are completely unique to the city and nothing comes close anywhere else in Italy, let alone the rest of the world.
So riding in a gondola was a must-do for me. I don’t think you should decide whether to ride in a gondola based on anyone else’s experience or review, but I will weight up the pro’s and con’s I experienced to give you a hand.
- It’s something you must do. Riding in a gondola is a bucket-list item for many people and it’s easy to see why. Venice was built on water so the best way to get around is by boat. Why not keep the experience local and cultural and actually ride in a gondola?
- It’s fun
- It’s a great way to see a lot of the city which you can’t access by foot
- The gondolas are very pretty
- The ride provides unique photo opportunities
- It’s expensive, especially if you want a private gondola. The ride doesn’t come cheap. You’ll have to decide whether it’s worth the price tag for yourself. My boyfriend and I didn’t think it was worth paying extra to have our own gondola so we shared with a couple of our friends to make it much cheaper. It was still fun and a great experience, just one that was shared with a couple more people.
- Many gondoliers won’t sing. They spend all day and night steering gondolas around Venice for tourists and many won’t feel like singing. Some will but don’t pester them. They have a job to do so just sit back and enjoy the ride.
- The ride isn’t very long. You’ll see a lot but I did feel like the ride could have gone for a little longer than it did.
As you can see I very much enjoyed my gondola ride and I would recommend giving it a go.
What are your favourite things about Venice? Let me know in the comments below!